Sieps är en statlig myndighet som tar fram forskningsbaserade analyser i europapolitiska frågor. Målgruppen är i första hand svenska beslutsfattare på olika nivåer. Arbetet sker i samarbete med svenska och internationella forskare.
The Open Method of Coordination: A New Governance Architecture for the European Union? (2003:1)
When the European Convention began its work, the open method of coordination (OMC) was not one of the central issues. However, open coordination cropped up in different working groups of the Convention, slowly but steadily.
There is no doubt that the OMC, although initially somewhat neglected by the Convention, will be a key issue in the discussion leading to the next Inter-Governmental Conference of the European Union. This report addresses the following questions:
- To what extent (and how) does the open method of coordination represent a new mode of governance? Where does it come from? What is the 'master discourse' providing political meaning and direction to the OMC?
- How far can the method go in terms of 'better governance'?
- What does empirical evidence tell us? Is the method an efficient way of encouraging policy learning? Is open coordination effective?
- What is the legitimacy of the method?
- What are the main suggestions for improvement?